Subscribe to The Wave Report!
Name:Email:

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Invisible Lines


I was returning from working in Victoria BC a week or so ago. The flight from Victoria to Vancouver is all of about 20 minutes. If you have lucked out and are sitting next to the window, the 20 minutes is an amazing journey of ocean to island. I always hope I see a whale ... I don't think the whales much like the inward passages, but I look for them all the same.

I got the aisle seat and so I defaulted to reading the airline's magazine. I ran across this article: "Social Responsibility Knows No Borders" ....

What struck me as curious: for the past nine days, I had been living within a clear set of boundaries---I was on an island. So, I continued to ponder what that meant in context of a "no boundary" thought. The author spoke of acting with responsibility to the planet and our neighbors and to consider the impact. And I get it---I have a lot to learn, but I get it.

Hang with me here ... I am still curious about the meaning of boundary ... I mean, here I was, on an island and I don't think that I had any food that was not fresh, organic and grass fed! I started to look for real estate property right away; I wanted more and I wanted this all of the time.

So ... what is it about boundaries? It was almost an expectation to ask what farm the salad came from, what was the name of the farmer who raised the cattle. Now I am back in Denver and I am craving those boundaries. I am craving the boundary that provides the opportunity get intimate with what is contained in it.

I got home and actively---well, almost obsessively---planned a trip to our local organic picking farm ... I needed to be near the people who knew that land intimately. I needed to be near the boundary that contained the berries and the hands and the land that did no harm.

What "knowing no boundaries" means to me, is that when I first love and care for the boundary that I am in, I am compelled to love and care for all that extends beyond the invisible line.


0 comments:

Post a Comment